What is Real 925 Sterling Silver? - VY Jewelry

What is Real 925 Sterling Silver?

August 31, 2020

What is Real 925 Sterling Silver?

No matter where you look in this world, you will see both men and women wearing sterling silver jewelry. It is popular all around the world. It lends a sparkle to everyone who wears it. With this said, you may want to know more about the best and most common types of sterling silver. Today, we will discuss everything about real 925 sterling silver, as it is the most commonly worn and purchased in the world. 

What is real 925 sterling silver?

In the natural state, silver metal is a liquid that is added with other types of metals. Usually, this is copper. It is mixed together and hardened to prevent any corrosive effects. Sterling silver made of 92.5% silver, and the other 7.5% is made of the different types of metal, as mentioned, that is usually copper. This is why the sterling silver is often called 925 sterling silver or even 925 silver. 

In addition to copper, zinc, germanium, and platinum can also be used with the silver. These metals will also help to prevent corrosive effects. However, if the silver weight in the mixture is preserved (meaning that it makes up 92.5% of the piece), it will still be called sterling silver. 

What are the levels of purity with silver jewelry?

Whenever you are referring to jewelry, you want to know how pure it is. There are four purity levels in silver jewelry. These four levels of purity include the following:
When silver is used in other products, the levels of purity may be different, as well. However, when it comes to silver jewelry, these levels or purity are what people base many of their purchases off.
The most popular type of silver jewelry is the type that has 925 stamps.

What is the origin of the name “Sterling”? 

Not everyone agrees on the origin of the name “Sterling.” This name did arise during the 13th century, but we don’t know exactly where it came from. When it comes to pounds, 1 pound was called 1 pound sterling. That is one origin that may hold meaning with many people.


Now that you know more about real 925 sterling silver jewelry, you can decide if it is the type of jewelry that you want to purchase.

If you have other interesting facts about 925 sterling silver jewelry, email us at vy@vyjewelry.shop or comment below.

If you want to purchase a beautiful piece of silver jewelry, check out our collection today.